Your roof is the first line of defense for your home and protects your home from storms and high winds. Your roof can get severely damaged during high winds, storms and hurricanes. It is important to assess your roof for damages post storm and maintain it on a regular basis to extend its life. Here are some of the tips you can follow to assess your roof for damage post storm-
- Rain, falling tree branches can all damage your roof, so post any such scenario check your roof from ground up for shingles blown off in your backyards or in nearby bushes.
- Check your top floor for holes in your roof, check if water has leaked out through your roof in the walls.If you see water stains in your walls running down from your roof, it means your roof has been damaged.
- Your roof can get damaged if large trees and branches fell over it during a windy storm, seek professional help to get those trees removed and inspect your roof for damage. You should get the roof checked by professional roofing experts in this case that will help you with the repairs and insurance claims post storm.
- Check the sidelines of your roof and the walls for dents, if you notice any dents that may be damage due to a hail storm – you should seek professional help in such cases to understand the intensity of the damage.
- Check your chimneys and skylights for damage due to high winds, flashing around the chimneys can lead to water seeping in your home causing a moist environment for mold and mildew – resulting in structural damage.
- The storm can easily damage the color of your roof, deteriorate the firecoating, if any, and result in the loss of shingles. You need to check all the shingles post storm and replace the damaged ones with new shingles.
- High winds can blow off your deck and result in cracks in your roofs. These cracks are typically one to two inches beneath your shingles and can lead to misalignment. In this case it is advised that you seal the shingles with each other and create a waterproof deck.
- A hail storm can cause small round indentations on your roof shingles and even though sometimes they are invisible to the naked eye, later they can lead to water infiltration and turn into leaks. So in case of hail storm it is recommended that you get your roof examined by the professionals who have expertise in hail storm damage.
- In case of a storm your roof can also get damaged due to falling debris, in such cases you will have to remove the debris and examine your roof for indentation and damages. Fallen debris can also cause dents in your cars, backyard and damage other items in your home.
Whenever you see a storm forecast on TV it is a good idea to review your own roofing insurance policy and check what damages are covered under it. Getting a roof inspection done after a storm will help you to stay calm once you are sure no damage has occurred and will give you sufficient time to file an insurance claim in case of damage. The majority of the insurance companies have a limited window after a natural calamity to file a claim, so it is a good idea to seek professional help so that you don’t miss the deadline.
Taking pictures of the damage that has occurred will help the insurance companies to assess your claim and stand as proof of damage. Hiring a professional roofing expert with certified insurance training will help you to cover your roofing damages on time. These experts give detailed reports of the damages that have occurred and also help in year round repair and maintenance activities.
It is a good habit to get your roof checked once in a year to avoid major damages and sudden roofing issues, the roofing experts provide free quotes for repair and maintenance and perform preventive maintenance of your roofs. The roofing expert negotiates with insurance companies on your behalf to settle your roofing claims and get you the best deal.